Looking for something to shoot? Find challenges and assignments here.
I owed an update! I'm a couple of pages behind ...
We are over 200 birds now! Nice work!!
Total: 204
Remaining: 332

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16391&p=88956#p88956

Keep the photos coming ... I was out a couple of times this weekend and, although I saw some beautiful birds, I didn't capture photos of any not already on the page. However, I was able to get this front view of a Swainson's Hawk to add to our collection:

(photo around Bench Row Rd and Vernon Commonage Rd intersection, Okanagon)
I actually like all of your pictures, Zach. I'm just going to apologize up front for this photo of a Wild Turkey on Knox Mountain. I forgot to bring my camera, so you get a cell phone picture. It counts. lol.

I promise a better photo of a turkey this year. haha.
James
I was out today near Kettle Valley Rail Trail in Kelowna ... up at altitude I photographed a few birds ... snapped this guy and tried to identify him. Merlin tells me it's a Dusky Flycatcher. I'm more convinced it's a Gray Flycatcher. Any consensus? I'm going with Dusky for now.

Closer look:
I'd go with Dusky as well, for a couple of reasons:

- It's much more likely in your area
- tail looks quite long (look where the wings end compared to the tail)

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Dus ... e/70199711

It's probably not possible to be 100% certain in this case (unless you have video/audio) so I think going with the more likely species makes sense. If you find another, call it the other species that we need LOL.
zwest wrote: May 28 8:03 am I'd go with Dusky as well, for a couple of reasons:

- It's much more likely in your area
- tail looks quite long (look where the wings end compared to the tail)

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Dus ... e/70199711

It's probably not possible to be 100% certain in this case (unless you have video/audio) so I think going with the more likely species makes sense. If you find another, call it the other species that we need LOL.
I like how you think! haha. Ok, Dusky Flycatcher it is!
Ok, Zach, here's the next one ... I captured this fellow down by the lakefront in a Marshy area (conservation area). He was there by himself diving down to the water and back up ... he cycled around several times. After a lot of looking and research, I think it is either an Arctic Tern (most likely) or a Forster's Tern (less likely). The coloration is wrong for a Common Tern. What do you think? The bill is definitely all orange ... no black on it at all. Or am I completely off and it is a Golden Eagle? haha.

zwest wrote: May 28 6:04 pm Wow!!
I agree with Arctic Tern...
I’ve never seen one here and I don’t imagine they are common where you are either...
Nice catch! :P
Thanks! They are uncommon for sure ... my daughter was here visiting ... that's why we were over there. Yes, I feel fortunate and lucky!

Here is a Cedar Waxwing from a few weeks back at B[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]