Looking for something to shoot? Find challenges and assignments here.
I couldn’t believe we didn’t have the Common Loon either. I was sweating that one... Lol. I’ve been over by Nelson for the last week. Saw about 50 different birds and can add two more to our list.

I saw this White-winged Crossbill up at Whitewater Ski Resort Road.

I saw this American Redstart on the Slocan Valley Rail Trail near Lemon Creek.

zwest wrote: Jun 15 2:06 pm Nice ones! I have looked for both of those species and never had any luck.

I actually think I have some sort of crossbill curse, as I never find the reds either.
lol. This is the first year I've ever seen one ... and now I've seen two and I've been birding for 42 years. Fortune has shined on me this year ... I put myself in the right locations and the birds cooperated. They don't always do that! haha. We are doing well overall ... 224 birds out of the 536. Just 312 to go! There is a little bit of work ahead of us.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16391&p=89033#p89033
I have been absent from this forum for a little over a year now although I admit that I have been regularly reading it and I'm sure other "quitters" like myself have been and are doing the same. It seems that the reason why I left in the first place has now been resolved, that being a few posters who were constantly negative and sometimes downright nasty to those of us who didn't know as much as they apparently did or (heaven forbid) if we disagreed with them. So Nick (nickinthegarden) if you're back then I am willing to jump back in as well.
According to the list published on June 15 you don't yet have a Snowy Owl. So here it is...

I have several other birds that are not on the above mentioned list that I would be happy to share.
Now I just have to remember how to do all of this posting stuff (already had a bit of trouble, but hopefully my brain will eventually kick in). :roll:
OK, here are a few that were not on your latest list.

Bohemian Waxwing at Alaksen National Wildlife Area in Delta

Barn Owl in Delta

Boreal Owl at Delta Watershed Park
Alright I cheated on this one a bit. This picture was taken in the wild however I volunteer and work at OWL (Orphaned Wildlife) and this was a bird that was in rehab a few years ago. This picture was taken immediately following his release. He was found in a backyard next to Delta Watershed Park, which is out of his normal range. Since that's where he was found, that's where he was released because we always try to release the birds back to the area they were found in. He's long gone now though - this was back in 2014.
I think I may have messed up your thread. Having gone back now and read the original post it looks like you want all the pictures to have been taken in 2019. If that’s the case then I’m truly sorry because none of the 4 that I posted would qualify. I’ll hold off posting any more until I get a definitive answer. I’m the type that reads directions only as a last resort and this is what happens!
I think you have a really good idea here and I would like to participate but I don’t get out as much as I used to, so if we are limited to 2019 my contribution will be minimal. I’ll keep reading and enjoying everyone else’s posts and pictures though!
Hi Judy, nice to see new contributions coming in... even if in error ;-)
I believe the intent was to have a bit of fun with the idea of building a "Joint Big Year" to see how close we can get to the total number of available BC species in one calendar year.
No harm in showing some of the "potential candidates" we can look ahead to possibly find. All those you posted are ones that will be a challenge under normal circumstances... but keep your eye out as we still have six months to go!
I'm in the camp of those that reduced my contributions to the forum but I still think it's a very valid entity and not beyond rebuilding!
Steely wrote:Hi Judy, nice to see new contributions coming in... even if in error ;-)
I believe the intent was to have a bit of fun with the idea of building a "Joint Big Year" to see how close we can get to the total number of available BC species in one calendar year.
No harm in showing some of the "potential candidates" we can look ahead to possibly find. All those you posted are ones that will be a challenge under normal circumstances... but keep your eye out as we still have six months to go!
I'm in the camp of those that reduced my contributions to the forum but I still think it's a very valid entity and not beyond rebuilding!
Yeah, sorry about that. I tried to delete the posts but was unable. Oh well, live and learn.
So here's one that I could not find anywhere on the June 15th list. It's not the greatest picture but it's the only one I have that qualifies and I feel I have to make amends. :oops:

Eurasian Wigeon (Male) taken in January 2019 at Blackie Spit, Surrey BC

And "yes" this forum is definitely worth rebuilding. I learned so much from it before and was really sad to see it get to where it was. It's on the upswing now and that's a good thing!
jewill wrote: Jun 19 11:02 am
Steely wrote:Hi Judy, nice to see new contributions coming in... even if in error ;-)
Yeah, sorry about that. I tried to delete the posts but was unable. Oh well, live and learn.
So here's one that I could not find anywhere on the June 15th list. It's not the greatest picture but it's the only one I have that qualifies and I feel I have to make amends. :oops:

Eurasian Wigeon (Male) taken in January 2019 at Blackie Spit, Surrey BC

And "yes" this forum is definitely worth rebuilding. I learned so much from it before and was really sad to see it get to where it was. It's on the upswing now and that's a good thing!
Lol. Whether this year or not, those are great pics, Judy! Thanks for posting. I agree with Ian ... nice to see them. All four of your birds are on my "must see some day" list. haha--and thanks for this Wigeon! I've been scouring around Kelowna but have been a day behind every time. I've also tried to modify a few posts (I mis-named a few birds, etc) ... no can do. Oh well ... I'm enjoying this challenge for sure!

Here is a Cedar Waxwing from a few weeks back at B[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]