This forum is for asking questions and providing answers on bird identification. New and visiting birders are encouraged to ask and participate.
A few days ago while Salmon fishing in a boat off Point Grey near Vancouver I noticed a gull-sized bird with something like an Albatross shaped wingspan it was definitely a white bird though.

Didn't think too much of it though it was a busy morning and it wasn't until my fishing partner reacted to the loud harsh/hoarse/raucous cries emanating from it and seemingly bouncing off the water that I gave it more notice; larger than a Nightjar not as agile and always single.

Your thoughts?

TIA
Sam Salmon wrote: Aug 24 10:44 pm A few days ago while Salmon fishing in a boat off Point Grey near Vancouver I noticed a gull-sized bird with something like an Albatross shaped wingspan it was definitely a white bird though.

Didn't think too much of it though it was a busy morning and it wasn't until my fishing partner reacted to the loud harsh/hoarse/raucous cries emanating from it and seemingly bouncing off the water that I gave it more notice; larger than a Nightjar not as agile and always single.

Your thoughts?

TIA
Was it white below or both top and bottom? Could be a shearwater or an albatross, actually. Or, it could have been a gull if it was loud. Could be a Petrel too.
Could be Glaucous, Thayer's or Glaucous-winged Gulls (2nd summer ... mostly white). Possibly Buller's Shearwater but maybe not too close to the coast? Could be an Osprey? They are white on the bottom ... if it was making a lot of noise, I would lean toward Gull.
Looking carefully through my dogeared but still relevant books I'm going with the Caspian Tern everything fits including the bottom view in harsh morning light.

The fact that "The world's largest breeding colony is on a small, artificial island in the Columbia River between Oregon and Washington, home to more than 6,000 breeding pairs each year." (https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Cas ... n/overview) seals the deal for me.

Thinking back I've probably seen them many times while fishing from small boats all along the Pacific coast from Mexico right down to Colombia.

No decent recording of the harsh call found but there are many mentions of it.

Here is a Cedar Waxwing from a few weeks back at B[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]