This forum is for asking questions and providing answers on bird identification. New and visiting birders are encouraged to ask and participate.
By caril
On July 4 north of Hazelton BC heard really odd call in the thick bush between house and creek. Sounded like a bird to me, calling... help. Does a bird exist that we might have been hearing? Never heard anything like that before! Help. :?:
By BirdingBC
caril wrote: Jul 06 11:15 am On July 4 north of Hazelton BC heard really odd call in the thick bush between house and creek. Sounded like a bird to me, calling... help. Does a bird exist that we might have been hearing? Never heard anything like that before! Help. :?:
Lots of species could fit into that house/creek habitat. If you could share a Google map link to your general location, that helps narrow the possible species down.

As it is midway through breeding season, juveniles are now abundant for birds and other critters. This makes ID'ing more difficult as the 'kids' can make all sorts of weird sounds that are unlike their parents.

Lets try to narrow down the sound you heard:
  • Was there any kind of pattern? How would you describe it?
  • Was it more like a chip, cheep, a squeal, whoop, trill, whine, or bark? How would you describe how it sounded?
  • Was the voice high, med, or low pitched?
  • Did it repeat the same call or was it varied?
  • Did it go up or go down or stay the same pitch?
  • What time of day/night
Cheers,
By caril
North of here, well up a back road: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Kispi ... 7799?hl=en
The call was repeated a number of times, at intervals, in the afternoon.
Pitch in the range of a woman's voice. Flat in pitch. Followed by a bit of quiet birdish sounds I can't describe. The call sounded like the word "help"... so much so that my husband immediately made sure it wasn't me. The calls stopped soon after we began walking around and calling out. Our calls got no response.
Juvenile raven...?
Rawalker , does a spotted towhee stay "help" in a flat tone in that pitch range? Dont think we get them here.
Zwest, peacock... very unlikely up here, but wouldn't that be funny. No sign of a peacock in the days since we heard the call.

Here is a Cedar Waxwing from a few weeks back at B[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]