This forum is for asking questions and providing answers on bird identification. New and visiting birders are encouraged to ask and participate.
By StarfleetScience
Hello. I'm an amateur and new to this site. I have 2 photographs that I can't seem to ID: they were both taken at Iona Beach.

The first photograph was taken on the 28th of August between 5:00 P.M. - 6:00 P.M. at the North Jetty. I think it's a flock of shorebirds or waterfowl?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/190033544 ... ed-public/

The second was taken at the Iona Beach parking lot on the 29th of August at 8:00 A.M. I really have no idea what they are.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/190033544 ... ed-public/

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the low-quality of the photographs.
By jewill
Hi StarfleetScience and welcome!
My best guess for your 1st picture: adult Bonaparte’s Gulls in breeding plumage. The black head and black trailing edge on the wings are what’s leading me to that ID. They are known to hang out at Iona.
The 2nd I would say are 2 juvenile European Starlings - the long pointed beak and somewhat drab brown plumage are the key field marks. They are also known to hang out at Iona (and just about everywhere else!).
I hope to see more of your photos and hear what you have to say about this great hobby of birding.
By StarfleetScience
jewill wrote: Aug 30 8:33 pm Hi StarfleetScience and welcome!
My best guess for your 1st picture: adult Bonaparte’s Gulls in breeding plumage. The black head and black trailing edge on the wings are what’s leading me to that ID. They are known to hang out at Iona.
The 2nd I would say are 2 juvenile European Starlings - the long pointed beak and somewhat drab brown plumage are the key field marks. They are also known to hang out at Iona (and just about everywhere else!).
I hope to see more of your photos and hear what you have to say about this great hobby of birding.
Thanks for the reply! I really appreciate it. Take care.

Nice to see the Savannah Sparrows back flitting am[…]

I was in Mexico last month and saw some new things[…]