This forum is for asking questions and providing answers on bird identification. New and visiting birders are encouraged to ask and participate.
By alanlu
Thx for the reply. But it looks different from the green-winged teal with no hint of green nor the vertial bar. Also its beak seems a bit longer than usual.
By jewill
Agreed...Green-winged Teal, immature male transitioning to adult winter plumage.
It can be tricky at this time of year because many birds are rather drab looking but just wait until spring when they are all in their finest “outfits”.
By BirdingBC
Yes, this teal did look a bit different. I think Judy is correct that this bird is still transitioning into standard male plumage. The white vertical bar and the green in the secondaries can be hidden at times. I would need to see additional photos to compare. Bill looks normal to me.

Have a look at these other photos on Flickr as there are a number of birds that look similar.
https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=fal ... ged%20teal

Upon review, I did consider an Intersex bird but don't think this is the case. This bird has mostly male patterning. Not an expert on intersex birds so don't really know what this could look like. Not a lot of detail on the web.

I don't think it is a Green winged teal x hybrid as I am not seeing any patterning that suggests parts of another duck sp.

Kevin
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

Very nice capture of the Pheobe. I went out looki[…]

I was in Mexico last month and saw some new things[…]