Looking for something to shoot? Find challenges and assignments here.
Traditionally, the 12 Days of Christmas run from 25 December to 5 January. However, this time, instead of a Partridge in a Pear Tree (unless that's the bird you see) ... the challenge is to post pictures of 12 different birds that you photograph between 25 December and 5 January ...Simple. lol.
James
Well, the weather has been really bad around here lately - rain, wind and more rain. Then, just when you thought it couldn't rain anymore, it rains and rains and rains. I admit that I'm a fair weather birder.
So rather than the 12 Days of Christmas, would you settle for 5?

The 4th Day of Christmas (Dec. 28)
ImageYellow-billed Loon (Juvenile) by Jewill on Flickr

The 5th Day of Christmas (Dec. 29) (I'm close - it's 3 geese a-swimming :lol:)
ImageGeese (3 sizes) by Jewill on Flickr

The 7th Day of Christmas (Dec. 31)
ImageBewick's Wren by Jewill on Flickr

The 8th Day of Christmas (Jan. 1)
ImageHouse Finch (Male) by Jewill on Flickr

And finally today, the 12th Day of Christmas (Jan. 5)
ImageDark-eyed Junco (Oregon - Male) by Jewill on Flickr

Did I mention it's been raining alot around here recently? :mrgreen:
lol. Those are Awesome, Judy -- what I meant, though, was 12 birds taken during those 12 days -- didn't have to be one bird a day -- but I appreciate the effort! haha. I will clarify better for the next challenge.

For my first bird, on the 26th of December, I captured this lovely Robin.
I thought, how sweet, a lone Robin. Nope -- he brought his friends along a couple of days later!

All of these birds I captured in my backyard ... that same day, I added 2) House Sparrows, 3) A Red-breasted Nuthatch, 4) Black-billed Magpie, and a 5) Dark-eyed Junco.

The 29th was pretty productive -- I collected 7 more birds ... all in the backyard ... well, this next one wasn't in the backyard ... 3 squadrons of Canada Geese were flying down the lake.

The rest, though, were peaking and sneaking around back there: 7) Northern Flicker, 8 ) Mountain Chickadee, 9) House Finch, 10) California Quail, 11) Song Sparrow, and 12) Pygmy Nuthatch.
Image (He wasn't excited about the Flicker)

I know that is 12 birds, but I do have a couple of more ... we always have these Mallards flying over the house (we had one fly smack into our window once ... fortunately it flew away later). I wondered where they've been landing lately. I guess on the Neighbor's roof! haha.
Image (There's you a male/female shot Judy!)

Finally, this little Black-capped Chickadee has been hanging around with his friends. This one actually landed in my wife's hand (quickly) to grab a few seeds. Beautiful birds so far this winter!

I also saw a Bald Eagle, Northern Harrier, and a Cooper's Hawk ... but, as usual, my camera was on a different floor than I was at the time. haha. Oh well -- Happy 12 Days Challenge! Look forward to the next one!
James
stumblingpiper wrote: Jan 05 9:02 pm lol. Those are Awesome, Judy -- what I meant, though, was 12 birds taken during those 12 days -- didn't have to be one bird a day -- but I appreciate the effort! haha. I will clarify better for the next challenge.
Oh sorry, I did misunderstand the challenge, but I’m old so what are you going to do? In that case to add to my already listed 5 (I won’t bother with the pictures now):
6. Red-winged Blackbird
7. Spotted Towhee
8. White-throated Sparrow
9. Fox Sparrow
10. Hooded Merganser
11. Pied-billed Grebe
12. Redhead

You got a good mix of birds James. Now I know where all the Robins went! I used to see lots of them all the time but this past year they’ve been scarce.
jewill wrote: Jan 06 5:11 pm
stumblingpiper wrote: Jan 05 9:02 pm lol. Those are Awesome, Judy -- what I meant, though, was 12 birds taken during those 12 days -- didn't have to be one bird a day -- but I appreciate the effort! haha. I will clarify better for the next challenge.
Oh sorry, I did misunderstand the challenge, but I’m old so what are you going to do? In that case to add to my already listed 5 (I won’t bother with the pictures now):
6. Red-winged Blackbird
7. Spotted Towhee
8. White-throated Sparrow
9. Fox Sparrow
10. Hooded Merganser
11. Pied-billed Grebe
12. Redhead

You got a good mix of birds James. Now I know where all the Robins went! I used to see lots of them all the time but this past year they’ve been scarce.
lol. Thx, Judy ... and I'm already jealous of your Pileated Woodpecker, Fox and White-throated Sparrows. I hope I can make it over in your area this year (maybe later) for some bird-watching.
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

We are currently at 115 birds! Wow. Excellent wo[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]