Metro Vancouver, Fraser Valley, Chilliwack, Hope, Lytton, Whistler, Squamish, Powell River, Howe Sound
By teddtucker
Hello

I'm new to vancouver. I've noticed there is a lot of crows flying from west to east in the early evening. Why is this? Where are the crows going? Where did they spend there day?

If someone could please inform me with some local knowledge I would really appreciate it
What you are seeing is birds moving to and from a night roost.

Outside of the breeding season, Northwestern Crows roost together at night, and then spread out across the landscape to go about their daily activities in the morning. In the late afternoon they begin gathering together to make the flight back to wherever they roost at night.

I don't know where the roosts are over there these days. Years ago I did some work monitoring a large roost near Burnaby Lake that was going to be impacted by highway expansion. It was amazing how many birds used it. The ground underneath was inches deep in droppings.

Where I live in Nanoose Bay on central Vancouver Island, crows from about 10 miles north and south of here gather together each night to roost on a couple of islands a few kms offshore.

Guy L. Monty
Nanoose Bay, Vancouver Island, BC
By Guyzerr
Guy I always wondered why they form such large groups. Thanks for the info.

FYI I've seen some massive flocks on the Sumas Prairie over the last week or so and it's a fun thing to see.
There is a large long time roost near Willingdon & Stillcreek in Burnbay. Essentially near the McDonalds head office. This roost has been in this location since the 90's.
By Doug
Every evening in Burnaby and parts of Vancouver starting around 5 or dusk crows start gathering together and making their way to roosts around Willingdon around Stilll Creek, where they roost on all the trees and wherever else.
I've lived in Burnaby all my life pretty much and have seen this for so long.
I see them starting over my house in large groups squawking away in the tall fir trees then heading off. People have mentioned in local newspapers that they want something done about it, because they were angry that the crows were messing up the roofs of the cars.
ha!!!! I think it is a fantastic sight and it's amazing to hear them as if they are all talking and saying let's go.
Doug wrote:Every evening in Burnaby and parts of Vancouver starting around 5 or dusk crows start gathering together and making their way to roosts around Willingdon around Stilll Creek, where they roost on all the trees and wherever else.I've lived in Burnaby all my life pretty much and have seen this for so long....
Larry Cowan wrote:There is a large long time roost near Willingdon & Stillcreek in Burnbay. Essentially near the McDonalds head office. This roost has been in this location since the 90's.
Some of those Still Creek bound birds have a sort of 'muster point' just east of the Cambie St bridge it seems they meet there every late afternoon before continuing on en masse to Still Creek.
2021 BC Birding Video Challenge

Here's a couple of videos from my birdwatching tod[…]

2021 BC Birding Challenge - Photos

Here's a link to the updated list! We are at 198 […]

I have us at 198 birds ... wow! Great work, every[…]

ID Help

I concur, this appears to be a pacific-slope flyca[…]