Looking for something to shoot? Find challenges and assignments here.
I am now wondering if the WSO is in fact a juvenile Great Horned Owl, although it was much smaller than GHO I have seen, including young ones. My main concern is that the call sounds like a GHO juvenile calling for food. There were two, calling back and forth for a while. I will look through the plentiful other footage that may have clearer shots in between my camera insisting on focusing on something else.
Hi Bill, I had another look and now leaning toward GHOW juveniles as well. It is hard to gauge the size of this bird but it looks kinda big for a WSOW. Also, the 'horn' feathers seem a bit too long for WSOW and this bird looks more mottled with brown than the grey wipin striping I would picture on a WSOW. Not an expert as I have never seen a WSOW in the wild (just heard them).

Kevin
Hi Kevin. I agree with your assessment. I had another look at the videos and also went back tonight and saw what I believe was the same bird. It had the same call. It looked too large for a WSOW this time. The best image I could get from the video looks more like a GHOW. Lots of fine horizontal barring on the legs and sides.
I don't have the excuse of never having seen one before. I once had on sitting on the passenger seat beside me after picking it up dazed from the road.
Thanks for your help. I will delete the entry in the spreadsheet.
Have not filmed many birds recently but I did catch this species a few weeks back.

Sooty Grouse

I joined a hike up to the alpine from Forbidden Plateau, Courtney, BC. Was hoping to see Vancouver Island White-tailed Ptarmigan but this bird is a cool consolation prize.

Cheers and good birding,
BirdingBC wrote: Sep 16 3:38 pm Have not filmed many birds recently but I did catch this species a few weeks back.

Sooty Grouse
I joined a hike up to the alpine from Forbidden Plateau, Courtney, BC. Was hoping to see Vancouver Island White-tailed Ptarmigan but this bird is a cool consolation prize.

Cheers and good birding,
Kevin - do a screen capture and add that one to our Picture Challenge! lol.
Nice work ... Bill is adding some nice videos, too. I have about 3 or 4 to upload ...
James
Here are a few more I was able to video ...
First, an American Three-toed Woodpecker in Kootenay National Park:

Next, the Pine Siskin ... near Stagleap Provincial Park.

A very fast look at a Canada Jay ... Painted Pots trail in Kootenay National Park.

To go along with your grouse photo, Kevin, here are a couple of more "Grice?" lol.
A Dusky Grouse in KLO Regional Park (Kelowna, BC):

A Spruce Grouse on the Okanagan Falls FSR behind Little White Mountain (British Columbia):
Trying to add some of the common birds ... here's an Eurasian-collared Dove. From my backyard in Kelowna, BC ...

I know we have a Song Sparrow already, but I couldn't pass up posting this guy with the raindrops bouncing off his head. lol. Enjoy!
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

We are currently at 115 birds! Wow. Excellent wo[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]