Metro Vancouver, Fraser Valley, Chilliwack, Hope, Lytton, Whistler, Squamish, Powell River, Howe Sound
By amateur
I have seen this bird twice in the woods on the edge of Northlands Golf Course. Being from Ontario I am used to seeing them on occasion but this one looks brighter and sharper coloured than the ones I have seen - I wondered, since it isn't local, if I have confused it with something else but can't find anything that looks similar.
By amateur
Fancy wrote:Welcome!
There isn't anything quite like the Red-headed Woodpecker. But, could the bird be a Pileated Woodpecker? They're black and white with red on the head.
Have you gotten a photo? If so, that could help to identify it. :)
Sadly no photo - way too slow - one time it was heading straight into a window (I scared it before it hit whew) the other time it was on a tree for a few minutes. I wonder if it was a pileated - my eyesight is terrible but I was pretty sure there wasn't a crest, just a rounded head. If no one else spots it, I will admit it must have been a pileated.
By nwjj
Hi,
I'm also from Ont. originally, and I would suggest you might have seen a red breasted sapsucker. They are quite like a red headed woodpecker if you only get a quick view.
Jean
By amateur
nwjj wrote:Hi,
I'm also from Ont. originally, and I would suggest you might have seen a red breasted sapsucker. They are quite like a red headed woodpecker if you only get a quick view.
Jean
Except for having a red head? ;-) No you are right - that must have been what it was - I thought I had pulled up a site with all the red west coast birds but apparently there are a few gaps in its list :-(
By novice
I too have seen it in east Richmond. Definitely saw a red headed woodpecker. Had never seen one before and looked it up to find its kind.
Interesting sparrow

Great! Thanks for confirming Regards, Daryl

2021 BC Birding Video Challenge

Slavonian/ Horned Grebes. I cut out lots of foota[…]

2021 BC Birding Challenge - Photos

I don't know if we have it yet, but Northern Harri[…]

Red necked Grebe

Thanks Kevin. I will try and get more familiar wit[…]