Looking for something to shoot? Find challenges and assignments here.
Nice work, Phainopepla and Zach! Way to push the noodle along! I spent some time this week in the Kootenays... was able to track down a few birds for our list:
White-winged Crossbill ... saw a small flock in McCleod Meadows Campground in Kootenay National Park:

Then, hiking up behind Paint Pots Trail (on the trail to Hermit Creek), we saw this American Three-toed Woodpecker:
Here's a close-up of his 3-toes. lol.
This was a lifer for me ... really cool. Another lifer for me on the same trail was this Boreal Chickadee. Kind of a sasquatch photo -- my lens was fogged up ...
It was a really good bird trip for me ... added several to my list for this year ...
Enjoy!
James
phainopepla6 wrote: Sep 12 2:04 pm Hello everyone!
If you dont mind, can you please post the species that We DO NOT have yet.
Happy Birding
Adam
Hi Adam! Here is the list of birds we don't have (keep in mind, this is from our list of previously seen in past years -- always welcoming new additions! 40 birds on this list. lol):
Curlew, Long-billed
Duck, Tufted
Flycatcher, Ash-throated
Flycatcher, Least
Gnatcatcher, Blue-gray
Godwit, Bar-tailed
Godwit, Hudsonian
Golden-plover, American
Golden-plover, Pacific
Gull, Franklin's
Gull, Slaty-backed
Hawk, Northern Goshawk
Hummingbird, Black-chinned
Ibis, White-faced
Kingbird, Tropical
Lark, Horned
Longspur, Lapland
Loon, Red-throated
Mockingbird, Northern
Nuthatch, White-breasted
Owl, Northern Hawk Owl
Owl, Northern Saw-whet
Partridge, Gray
Redstart, American
Sanderling
Sandpiper, Buff-breasted
Sandpiper, Curlew
Sandpiper, Sharp-tailed
Sapsucker, Red-naped
Sparrow, Clay-colored
Sparrow, Harris's
Sparrow, Leconte's
Swallow, Bank
Swift, White-throated
Tattler, Wandering
Tern, Arctic
Tern, Common
Thrush, Dusky
Warbler, Cape May
Warbler, Tennessee

As a side note, here is the list of birds that KenW has added, but the photos don't show from his google account:
Egret, Great
Hummingbird, Ruby-throated
Ovenbird
Owl, Northern Pygmy
Ptarmigan, White-tailed
Sparrow, Swamp
Warbler, Palm
Woodpecker, Acorn
It would be nice if we could get these pictures to show ... first, I'd like to see them. haha. Secondly, they would help our count!
With KenW's count, we have 279 birds (without his, we are at 271)! 18 new additions this year. in 2020, we hit 260 ... the year before 273. The goal I se this year was 290 ... so, if we can get Ken's pictures to show, we need 11 more! Without them, we need 19 more birds! We've got this! I can't believe I don't have the White-breasted Nuthatch yet ... seen plenty, just didn't have my camera ... also, looking for Ian to add the Northern Mockingbird! lol.

Excellent work by all contributors this year! Thanks, everyone!
James
Berdesdan wrote: Jan 26 8:00 am
stumblingpiper wrote: Jan 25 3:08 pm Ben, You're not kidding about challenging to count! Lol. That's actually a good idea for a challenge ... Maybe for February I'll put one out like that. For this photo, I looked at your image a little closer -- do you think you could crop it so you can see two or three of them together? It looks like you could and they'd still be in focus. Nice work on this one.
James
Here it is. A little grainy, but you can see the crossed bill on one of the males.
This one has some juveniles in it as well
Ben, I'm sneaking another Red Crossbill entry in on top of yours! I captured this guy today ...
Side view ...
Excellent work Zach and Phainopepla! I've been out of the country for a month, so no adds from me ... Counting KenW's missing bird pics (8), we have 283 (without KenW, we are at 275)!

I'm calling it official at 275 unless we can find a way to have his images fixed ... So, for 2021:
a) 19 new additions this year--Wow! Pretty cool ... thanks for everyone's great contributions!
b) 275 is our biggest year so far ... only 15 off the goal ... We "might" get 280. A huge year!
c) Really appreciate everyone's contributions and participation in this challenge. It really makes it fun to see the birds from areas I haven't made it to, yet.

Two more months to close out our biggest year!
James
Nice work, again, you two. A Cattle Egret! nice ... saw tons when I was in Texas, but doesn't count. haha. Trying to figure out where to go in the next couple of weeks to add to our list ... thinking Beaver Lake Road to see if I can see any birds that came my way from up north...
I went out today in Knox Mountain park in Kelowna to try and add the White-breasted Nuthatch that has been eluding me all year! It was a pretty good outing ... albeit a tad chilly! Saw all three nuthatches (pygmy, red-breasted, and white-breasted). Didn't see the white-breasted until we were just about to leave the park!

He hung around for awhile and gave us some nice looks!

We had a nice sighting earlier on our walk -- a Brown Creeper! Nice to see one of those in the park ... I was checking to see where we had it on the site and it was under a big list of birds from DENNISM39 ... however, all those images aren't showing up for me now? Anyone have a fix for that? I'll add the Brown Creeper here just for kicks:

Such a tiny bird and hard to follow sometimes ...

Enjoy!
James
Hey everyone! I have us at 279 birds now (not including the missing 8 from KenW). Wow! Great work ... here's the link to the most recent list: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=16619&p=91017#p91017

So, we have on the list:
287 Birds in total.

8 missing bird pics from KenW:
Falcon, Gyrfalcon
Hummingbird, Ruby-throated
Ovenbird
Owl, Northern Pygmy
Ptarmigan, White-tailed
Sparrow, Swamp
Warbler, Palm
Woodpecker, Acorn

13 missing bird pics form DennisM39:
American Robin
Ancient Murrelet
Common Murre
Gadwall
Killdeer
Marbled Murrelete
Marsh Wren
Mew Gull
Olympic Gull
Pigeon Guillemot
Sora
Trumpeter Swan
Virginia Rail

Those 21 missing photos drop us back to 266. If anyone has a 2021 picture of any of these birds, please add them ... hopefully those other posts can get fixed, but to be on the safe side, if you have a photo of these birds above, please add it! lol.
James
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

We are currently at 115 birds! Wow. Excellent wo[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]