Looking for something to shoot? Find challenges and assignments here.
Last year, we managed to film 143 species and that is a very good start for the first year of the video challenge. This year I am hoping that we can film 200 species or more.

2022 BC Birding Video Challenge

For this challenge, your assignment is to film each of the BC Bird species, from common birds to rare species. Shoot a 10sec - 1min in length video and upload it to YouTube. When you are ready to share, reply to this thread. Use the BBcodes (YouTube) to have your video show up in your posting (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2852)

Some criteria for the challenge:
  • Bird filmed in 2022.
  • Besides filming the bird, try to capture its song or call or location ambience!
  • Bonus points to capture both male and female of a species.
  • Tight zoom in not necessary, capture the bird in its habitat doing something! (eg. Harrier hunting in a field)
  • Try to create a stable video, cut out the blurred or jumpy parts.
  • High end camera not necessary. Create videos with your smartphone! (birds at a feeder, duck pond, etc.)
  • Finally, tell us a bit about where the bird was filmed. Share a bit of context.
2022 BC Bird Video checklist:
Video Checklist Google Doc

We will use a Google Spreadsheet checklist to help track which BC birds have been filmed for the challenge. If you have a Google account and would like access to help update the list (add contributed videos), just request access to edit the doc!

On a final note, a friendly reminder that this video challenge is all in good fun. There is no prizes, just pride and recognition that you helped build the set. Let's always be mindful and considerate towards the welfare of the bird when trying to get the shot.

Bird Photography Rules
Audubon's Guide to Ethical Birding Photography
Guidelines for Owl Photography

Have fun and Good Birding!
Song Sparrow

Hairy Woodpecker

Both these birds were at Rithet's Bog in Victoria. What I was not able to capture was the hundreds of American Robin that were coming in the roost in the bog for the evening. I estimate there were 500-2000 robins in the conservation area. Hard to count as many were deep in trees, or down on the grown near small ice-free puddles and other moving water spots.
Merlin.
I am glad we did not believe the snow warnings and went to Buttertubs Marsh. The first thing we saw was this Merlin fly from the top of a dead oak and come back with a House Finch.
BillGyles wrote: Jan 04 8:22 pm Merlin.
I am glad we did not believe the snow warnings and went to Buttertubs Marsh. The first thing we saw was this Merlin fly from the top of a dead oak and come back with a House Finch.
Comparing to Sibley's, this bird looks more more like a female Taiga subspecies than Pacific.
Peregrine Falcon at Dike Trail, Duncan.
This falcon killed a Coot (at least that's what it looks like) while I was filming some gulls, causing them to take off in a hurry. The video is a bit overlong, but I didn't want to cut much out.
Male American Kestrel at the Dike Trail, Duncan. Filmed right after the Peregrine. It looks like a raptor's life is hard on tail feathers.
(btw, yesterday I should have written 'I had to buy a new hard drive'.)
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

We are currently at 115 birds! Wow. Excellent wo[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]