This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
April 4/19

Normally at this time of year, my two feeders are inundated with Rufous Hummers that are newly arrived from Mexico. There is a conspicuous lack of birds this year and I'm wondering if anyone else is noticing this? I have two feeders which I have to fill every other day. Not this year... Where are they?
There's lots of food in the forests with Salmonberry flowers and Indian Plum and Red-flowering Currant all open.

So the Anna's Hummingbirds are with young and are teaching them where to feed.

The Rufous Hummingbird are now arriving and soon your feeder will be busy again with them till August!

The Anna's Hummingbirds leave the feeders when the Rufous Hummingbirds arrive so sometimes there's a lull of activity at the feeders!
The Rufous Hummers are here in Abbotsford though their numbers have been down this last couple of years. Their population seems to be on the decline and they are "Red Listed" as "Near Threatened"!! My year round Anna's seem to be doing quite well though they tend to be less visible for a month or so after the Rufous arrive!
I had my first one today in Abbotsford. As Bert mentioned numbers have been down, possibly due to pesticides. Research is being done to look into this.

Here is a Cedar Waxwing from a few weeks back at B[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]