This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
As a lover of barred owls, I'm conflicted about B.C.'s barred owl cull. The animal I spend much of my time photographing and admiring is sometimes legally killed with a shotgun. At the same time, I understand the cull is by no means arbitrary—it's to save the endangered northern spotted owl. How do biologists determine one owl is more valuable than another? From killing insects to eating factory-raised chicken, is it any different than the value judgements we make every day about other animals?

This is probably the most substantial piece of writing I've ever produced. To write it, I found and photographed barred owls, interviewed a biologist, uncovered new information about the cull from a freedom of information request, and probed my relationships with animals.

Story link:https://birdsandbark.com/blogs/news/bar ... otted-owls
Hi birdsandbark,

I read your story and the issue with Barred Owls is a complicated!

Your correct that Barred Owls originally were an Eastern Owl, and came across North American by trees planted by farmers.

Barred Owls are so successful on the Pacific coast that they are becoming an invasive species!
This why there is a cull around Northern Spotted Owl habitat.

The Barred Owl is becoming so numerous, you can even find them on Georgia Street!
Juvenile trying to find their own territory have been found middle of downtown Vancouver!

Barred Owls will eat any prey, so that's why they are so successful.
Another issue is Barred Owl's are depleting the biodiversity of different areas because they eat everything!

Barred Owls are now one of the most common owls on Southern Vancouver Island.
They are also preying on Coastal Western Screech Owls, so besides habitat decline, they have to keep from getting eaten!

"When Screech-Owl calls are played, Barred Owls quickly respond by flying in silently – in “stealth hunting mode.”

There is one predator that can keep the Barred Owl population down a bit, the Great Horned Owl will kill and eat Barred Owls.

One thing you can say about Barred Owls, is they are extremely adaptable to many different kinds of habitats!
Thank you so much for this!
birdsandbark wrote: Mar 16 11:07 am As a lover of barred owls, I'm conflicted about B.C.'s barred owl cull. The animal I spend much of my time photographing and admiring is sometimes legally killed with a shotgun. At the same time, I understand the cull is by no means arbitrary—it's to save the endangered northern spotted owl. How do biologists determine one owl is more valuable than another? From killing insects to eating factory-raised chicken, is it any different than the value judgements we make every day about other animals?

This is probably the most substantial piece of writing I've ever produced. To write it, I found and photographed barred owls, interviewed a biologist, uncovered new information about the cull from a freedom of information request, and probed my relationships with animals.

Story link:https://birdsandbark.com/blogs/news/bar ... otted-owls

Here is a Cedar Waxwing from a few weeks back at B[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]