This forum is for questions and general discussion in the field of bird photography and bird photography gear.
Even though I have a good superzoom camera (the Panasonic Lumix FZ80), I want to photograph birds in even better image quality, because while superzoom cameras are generally more compact and still useful, you won’t be able to get the same results as a DSLR. At the same time though, DSLRs are more expensive, but I learned that you don’t have to buy a $5,000 camera and a $10,000 lens to shoot great images. However, I don’t know what to find in certain cameras that make them good for bird photography, so if you can help me, please respond to this topic.
Nicasso wrote: Dec 26 3:08 pm Even though I have a good superzoom camera (the Panasonic Lumix FZ80), I want to photograph birds in even better image quality, because while superzoom cameras are generally more compact and still useful, you won’t be able to get the same results as a DSLR. At the same time though, DSLRs are more expensive, but I learned that you don’t have to buy a $5,000 camera and a $10,000 lens to shoot great images. However, I don’t know what to find in certain cameras that make them good for bird photography, so if you can help me, please respond to this topic.
Hi, I would start with the lens and then decide on a suitable body for it.

I’d suggest looking at both the Nikon 200-500 and the Sony 200-600. They are similar lenses which give you exceptional image quality for the money (the Sony is a bit more expensive, but you’ll get the extra 100mm which could help with those scoters).

Nikon also has a 200-600 coming out for their new mirrorless bodies, but it’s not available yet and I’m not sure when it will be.

There are many reviews/comparisons out there on the web, but these would be a good starting point. I’d personally avoid the temptation of the cheaper Tamron and Sigma lenses and stick to the same brand for both lens & body.

I bought my 200-500 (lightly used) for $1300 and the D7200 body (new) for the same price, just to give you an idea. Nikon now has the D7500 at around that price.

If you have more technical questions, I’d be happy to answer (as much as I can).
Nicasso wrote: Dec 27 12:07 pm Can you attach a Sony 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 with a Canon or Nikon body?
It may or may not be possible with an adapter, but it’s probably not a good idea.

I don’t know much about Sony bodies, so there would be a little more research required there.

I think you’d be quite pleased with the Nikon D7500 and 200-500 combo as well, and it would be a little cheaper.

Here is a Cedar Waxwing from a few weeks back at B[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]