Looking for something to shoot? Find challenges and assignments here.
Time to catch up! Here are 14 new species based on the current (Jun 5) list.

Greater-white fronted Goose
ImageGreater White-fronted Goose-3 by Dennis McMillan, on Flickr

Eastern Phoebe
ImageEastern Phoebe by Dennis McMillan, on Flickr

Common Yellowthroat
ImageCommon Yellowthroat by Dennis McMillan, on Flickr

Caspian Terns (and Marbled Gotwit)
ImageCaspian Terns and Marbled Gotwit by Dennis McMillan, on Flickr

Black Brant
ImageBlack Brant by Dennis McMillan, on Flickr

American Goldfinch
ImageAmerican Goldfinch by Dennis McMillan, on Flickr

Townsend's Warbler
ImageTownsends Warbler-2 by Dennis McMillan, on Flickr

Thayer's (Iceland) Gull
ImageThayer's gull by Dennis McMillan, on Flickr

Thayer's Gull
ImageThayer's (Iceland) Gull by Dennis McMillan, on Flickr

Spotted Sandpiper
ImageSpotted Sandpiper-5 by Dennis McMillan, on Flickr

Semi-palmated Plover
ImageSemi-palmated Plover-2 by Dennis McMillan, on Flickr

Purple Martin
ImagePurple Martins by Dennis McMillan, on Flickr

Pectoral Sandpiper
ImagePectoral Sandpiper by Dennis McMillan, on Flickr

Osprey
ImageOsprey by Dennis McMillan, on Flickr

MacGillvray's Warbler
ImageMacGillivrays Warbler-3 by Dennis McMillan, on Flickr
Nice work, everyone! Our numbers are going up fast! Sorry for some confusion on which birds -- I should have updated the list sooner -- but better to have a couple of a few birds than none of that bird. haha. Sorry about that Wilson's, Dennis -- I've taken that same picture of the American Goldfinch. I'll post the new list after this one ... because I have a couple of additions! lol.

I was out today (where McCulloch Road (Kelowna, BC) crosses Hydraulic Creek) and shot, what I thought, was another picture of a Swainson's Thrush. I was mistaken ... I'd never seen this bird before ... it was a Veery! Cool.

I then went up to Browne Lake Provincial Park -- a great locale for bird spotting. Again, I thought the picture I had was an immature Robin -- it turned out to be a Northern Waterthrush! Another Score. haha.

Keep up the great work! Happy looking at birds.
James
Just two more birds for the list.... hope they are not duplicates. ;)

Great-tailed Grackle
ImageGreat-tailed Grackle (Quiscalus mexicanus) by Kevin Slagboom, on Flickr

Common in southern North America but not in BC. 7th BC Record! This rare bird was down at Esquimalt Lagoon associating with Brewer's blackbirds.

Wood Sandpiper
ImageWood Sandpiper (Tringa glareola) by Kevin Slagboom, on Flickr

If you visit Asia, you might see this bird. MEGA Rare to see it here! This wood sandpiper was spotted this morning at Panama Flats and it attracted a whole bunch of birders to come out and see it.
James - Thanks for the Goldfinch correction on the Wilson's Warbler. Strangely enough the bird was in the same area that a Wilson's was reported so I incorrectly assumed it was that bird.

I have not found a way to edit my post so I can remove the photo. Do you know if I can do this?
DennisM39 wrote: Jul 07 4:03 pm James - Thanks for the Goldfinch correction on the Wilson's Warbler. Strangely enough the bird was in the same area that a Wilson's was reported so I incorrectly assumed it was that bird.

I have not found a way to edit my post so I can remove the photo. Do you know if I can do this?
This board now has a 3 day editing window. I had to limit it in the past because bots would create posts and later on edit them to add spam.

I found the Wilson's/Goldfinch post and made the correction.

Cheers,
Kevin
Wow! Thanks for the adds, Kevin -- great birds. Thanks for fixing the post as well ... I missed a Snowy Plover (rare) here in Kelowna -- I'm pretty removed from most social media so I didn't hear about it until after the fact. haha. Oh well.

Dennis -- I've been tricked by my mind many times on birds. lol -- I think phainopepla noticed it first. Thanks for all your adds, as well. I'd like to get a few more Kootenay and Northern BC birds on the list ... we'll see!

James
Hi Smithers and welcome to the forum.
There are not many rules to this challenge, only that the picture be taken in 2021 of a bird in BC in the wild (no caged or tethered birds). The bird doesn’t have to be native to BC - as long as it was in BC at the time the picture was taken then it counts. James (the originator of the challenge) publishes a list of birds we have already here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=16619&p=90724 (make sure you go to the bottom to get the latest). If you do happen to post a picture of a bird we already have no one gets too upset though.
Now, if it would just cool down a bit and if the birds would be just a little more cooperative I may join you in posting a picture or 2 of my own! :)

BTW - Kevin what a spectacular Great-tailed Grackle and mega-rare Wood Sandpiper. Congrats on both!
Hi Smithers! Welcome ... I'm updating my list of birds (for everyone). The new list will contain the birds we HAVEN'T captured yet. Since we currently have 240, I think the smaller list of birds we are still missing would be better. It's about 66 birds. Here's the link to that new list:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=16619&p=90749#p90749

This short list contains birds that we photographed the last 3 years -- I just carried it over. If we can get 60 of these, we would have 300 birds for the year! Wow. That would be quite the accomplishment ... Happy Birding!
James
I went to Keremeos for a couple of days this week to see if I could avoid the smoke around Kelowna. There was still smoke, but not as thick as here! We put in a little time bird watching and put ourselves in the right place at the right time to add two more birds to the list!

Here's a Rock Wren we saw just outside of Cawston near Blind Creek. It was hard to get this shot because he kept ducking in and out of a hole under this big rock. Fortunately, I was able to capture the shot before he moved on!

In the same area a couple of hours later, my wife and I scared up a Covey of Chukars! New bird for me ... they were pretty elusive ... they were scrambling up a scree bed, keeping under cover. Here's the best shot I could get. haha!

We also saw a Northern Mockingbird on this hike, but we couldn't get a photo!
Happy birding ...
James
WEll, it's been a while since I've contributed...
Loving all the submissions so far! Work has prevented me from getting out into the field.
Here are a few to fill in the blanks!

Sage Thrasher (Adult)

Sage Thrasher (Juvenile)

Swainson's Hawk

Brewer's Sparrow

Williamson's Sapsucker

Keep up the good work Guys!
Great adds, Ian! and glad to see you back on the site ... I was a little worried about you ... a couple of questions ... did you see that Sage Thrasher anywhere near White Lake biodiversity? I've been trying to add one to my list this year and striking out. Same question for the Brewer's Sparrow ... I think I may have seen one and mistook it for something else.
Again, welcome back and thanks for participating!
James
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

We are currently at 115 birds! Wow. Excellent wo[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]