This forum is for asking questions and providing answers on bird identification. New and visiting birders are encouraged to ask and participate.
This small bird has been perplexing passers by for a few months at Jericho park. ID would be most appreciated.

Seen between February-May this year, at least.

Best guess would be a puffy wintering snow bunting, with its blackish wings and mottled head and body. On the other hand, this area is heavily trafficked by eBirders, and the last time a snow bunting was reported was 2017, although it was around the same time of year.

ImageMystery bird by Nic Bird, on Flickr
https://flic.kr/p/2nonHmQ
Thanks for the reply. That's what I first suspected (of course I would say that!), but was put off by red-eyed examples I found upon googling, while this one seems more black-eyed. Nonetheless that would certainly explain why it is always around towhees, acting like a towhee.

I bumped up shadows and reds in lightroom and it turns out the eyes are actually medium brown. I suppose all bets are off with leucistic specimens.
northvanrob wrote:Actually it's a leucistic Fox Sparrow!
That was going to be my 2nd guess (yeah, easy for me to say now) but I went with Towhee just because of the company he was keeping.
Thanks Rob, and I agree it's an amazing bird.

Here is a Cedar Waxwing from a few weeks back at B[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]