This forum is for asking questions and providing answers on bird identification. New and visiting birders are encouraged to ask and participate.
I've tentatively ID'd this bird (shot at Serpentine Fen on October 13, 2013) as a Northern Shoveler, however I can't tell if this is a male or a female Shoveler, as a) it doesn't have the iridescent green head that would ID it as a male (it looks almost like a black head) and the females look like a mallard with a long "shoveler" beak that is orange. Note the black beak. I'm tempted to think this is a first year male juvenile but I'm not sure.
Nice shot! :) This is indeed a Northern Shoveler. It is a male bird molting out of its eclipse plumage. Eclipse is a plumage that male ducks have after the breeding season. After having their bright breeding feathers, the shed them and look quite a bit like a female of their species for a while until they go back to normal starting in late summer.
Thanks, Liron. I caught him as he was swimming away from me and snapped off a series of shots and luckily one of them was him looking back at me, wondering what kind of "howitzer shell" I was going to "nail" him with.

Luckily that brief second of looking back gave enough to ID him with. Thanks again for the ID.

The nice bonus for the afternoon was as I was walk[…]