This forum is for asking questions and providing answers on bird identification. New and visiting birders are encouraged to ask and participate.
By SCizzle
I saw this duck near the shore by itself at Iona 2 days ago. Looked like it was missing the bottom section of its bill and its tongue was hanging out. I censored it because it's not particularly nice to look at. IDing this duck has been difficult for me because of the dull mixed colours. Could it be a Scaup?

Thanks in advance for any help!
By nealdoan
I'm no expert by any means, but from the books I have I would suggest a 1st winter male Lesser Scaup. Other option is a Greater Scaup male eclipse. I am sure someone else with more knowledge will be able to confirm one way or another. Cheers.
By russellcannings
Hello "SCizzle"

Would you be able to post the original photo without the pixellation? Would help to better determine what we're looking at. It appears part if not all of the lower mandible is still in place--visible in both photos.

The dangling pink thing could be a tongue, but maybe it's not the scaup's tongue but that of its prey (e.g. a large mussel or clam).

Russell Cannings
Nanaimo, BC
By SCizzle
Sure. Here it is! This photo is a crop and I've also included a second photo that might help. You have a good point. And maybe it's the camera angle that's fooling my eyes.

Whoever solves this duck tongue mystery gets a prize! :lol: just kidding

The nice bonus for the afternoon was as I was walk[…]