This forum is for asking questions and providing answers on bird identification. New and visiting birders are encouraged to ask and participate.
By jewill
You can try sending the picture to the Burrowing Owl Conservation Society of BC at:
bocsbc@gmail.com
I’m not sure if they will be able to help you or not, but it’s worth a try.

Added: I did a little digging and found out that the green and black band is unique to BC

“All of the released adult owls and 4-5 week old wild-born juveniles are banded with a US Fish and Wildlife Service aluminum band and a Green/Black alpha-numeric band. The Green/Black band is unique to BC burrowing owls, allowing them to be identified along their migration route and on the wintering grounds. BC owls have been sighted from Washington to California.” (Aug 19, 2014 by Lauren Meads, South Okanagan Site Coordinator, BOCSBC)

So your bird was banded in BC by the BOCSBC.

Oh, and after all of that I neglected to say that I love your picture, what with the direct eye contact and all. Congratulations on an excellent capture.
a gorgeous shot Chris and a heart-warming find. nice to see them thriving. let us know if you find out how old it is. I think we've had shots posted from the Okanagan and Oregon over the years, but I don't remember one from the Lower Mainland.
By revs
ogopogo wrote:a gorgeous shot Chris and a heart-warming find. nice to see them thriving. let us know if you find out how old it is. I think we've had shots posted from the Okanagan and Oregon over the years, but I don't remember one from the Lower Mainland.
Richmond and Tsawassen have both hosted Burrowing owls over the years, in fact, Richmond has had one a couple years in a row now, don't ask me exact locations though, for obvious reasons.
jewill wrote:You can try sending the picture to the Burrowing Owl Conservation Society of BC at:
bocsbc@gmail.com
I’m not sure if they will be able to help you or not, but it’s worth a try.

Added: I did a little digging and found out that the green and black band is unique to BC

“All of the released adult owls and 4-5 week old wild-born juveniles are banded with a US Fish and Wildlife Service aluminum band and a Green/Black alpha-numeric band. The Green/Black band is unique to BC burrowing owls, allowing them to be identified along their migration route and on the wintering grounds. BC owls have been sighted from Washington to California.” (Aug 19, 2014 by Lauren Meads, South Okanagan Site Coordinator, BOCSBC)

So your bird was banded in BC by the BOCSBC.

Oh, and after all of that I neglected to say that I love your picture, what with the direct eye contact and all. Congratulations on an excellent capture.
Ty Jewel i hope to find out some more about this bird , will post here when .
ogopogo wrote:a gorgeous shot Chris and a heart-warming find. nice to see them thriving. let us know if you find out how old it is. I think we've had shots posted from the Okanagan and Oregon over the years, but I don't remember one from the Lower Mainland.
So , how you know where this is from? Could be many other places :)

Yes agree , hope they can thrive .
By ogopogo
yes, and good for you for not disclosing. if they were released in the Okanagan and found their way to WA & OR, I'm assuming they come through Vancouver at some point in migration. also, I have contacts, so I know where they are but, alas, here I am in Victoria just being envious we don't have any (that I'm aware of).
enjoy!

Along the Sandpipers theme, I had a couple hours t[…]

Buy Cocaine online | Buy Heroin Online | Buy Cryst[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

Current list -- we are at 142 birds! Wow ... Have[…]

The annual Open House at OWL (Orphaned Wildlife Re[…]