This forum is for posting your best bird photos and videos. Although the site is focused on BC Birding, topics here and photo postings can include birds from around the globe. As well, provide a link to your photo galleries.
I have just spent a month with the new lens, travelling in Asia. In general, it is not too heavy to use handheld, which I did all the time. It is very sharp at 500 mm. With a 1.4 teleconverter it is still acceptably sharp but autofocus capability drops off rapidly, especially in low light, which was v frustrating at times.

I have mounted a Jobu plate on the lens foot, and coupled it with a Kirk shoulder strap. The set up worked really well - though it requires faith to accept that as long as the clamp is tight, the lens will be secure.

I had it mounted on an 810 body which allowed me to crop considerably and still get usable record shots of very distant birds - and there were a lot of very distant birds. I had VR on and in sport mode most of the time. Most of the time I used single point focus, but for BIF I had 9 point focus on to track them more easily.

Overall, I am well pleased with the combination. It is a lot better than the 200-400 lens at long range, and has been a lot of fun to use. I have not yet compared it to the 400mm which I suspect will give better resolution, but realistically would have been totally impractical to lug around in the jungle.

The overall bird count will be 150+ once I get a few more identified. Part of the problem there was a language barrier - the guide in Cambodia was very knowledgeable but I had a hard time understanding him while trying to take notes.

The big event was seeing the Giant and white shouldered Ibis - both thought to have perhaps 200 pairs left worldwide.

If anyone would like info about the sites visited (Singapore, Cambodia, Hong Kong, and Macau) contact me off list.

Julian Dunster

And finally from Iona Beach Park, there were a few[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

Update for 9 May 2024 ... we are at 158 birds! Woo[…]

Thank you to all who came out to support OWL at ou[…]