This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
By jewill
The annual Open House at OWL (Orphaned Wildlife Rehabilitation Society) will be held this coming weekend, May 4th & 5th, 2024 from 10am to 3pm both days. The address is 3800 72nd Street in Delta. Come see what we are all about - rescuing and rehabilitating injured and orphaned raptors from all over BC. The event will take place rain or shine (we're hoping for more shine) and there is no need for tickets or a reservation.
Enjoy various exhibits from other environmental organizations, raptor meet and greets, kids zone, food trucks (including a vegan option), see our wildlife museum and buy a souvenir in our Gift Shop (all proceeds go directly back to helping the birds). The highlight of each day will be the release of a recently rehabilitated Bald Eagle back to the wild at 1pm both days.
Free parking at the Boundary Bay Airport with a free shuttle bus (handicap capable) service to and from OWL. Directional signs will be posted - note: absolutely no parking on 72nd street.
More information here: https://www.owlrehab.org/owl-open-house-2024/
I hope to see you there (I'll be in the office so come say "hi").
Thank you to all who came out to support OWL at our Open House this weekend. Both days had amazing turnouts and in spite of the weather on Sunday (cold and wind & then cold, wind and rain) there were even more visitors than on Saturday!
There are now 2 rehabilitated Bald Eagles back out in the wild where they belong. The various environmental groups that set up booths offered up lots of information on how the average person can help wildlife and the environment. There was even a live Northern Spotted Owl courtesy of the NSOW Breeding Program - where else are you going to get the chance to see (and photograph) one of these highly endangered birds? - only 6 are known to exist in the wild in BC. Check out our Facebook page for some pictures and video of the event: https://www.facebook.com/OWLRehab
Once again “thank you” for your support. We’ll do it all again next year.

First of year in the back greenspace. I heard him […]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

Update for 9 May 2024 ... we are at 158 birds! Woo[…]

Thank you to all who came out to support OWL at ou[…]