This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
By dwatsonbirder
Hi all,

I will be visiting BC next week for the first time. Really looking forward to the trip and some decent mammal watching. Could anybody tell me what the best conditions would be for a fall of migrants to occur in British Columbia? We are around Vancouver for a few days before heading over to the island - spending some time in the pacific rim national park. I bought the excellent finding birds in BC, so hoping to get to a few sites.
I guess rain setting in during the early hours is best, but what about wind direction? Also what are the chances of decent passerine movement - is it too late in the season?
I will try and post any sightings I have during the trip.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Dan
By birdergirl
Hi Dan,

You are coming to BC at one of the best time for birds during fall migration! After a storm or heavy rain who knows what can be brought in and in Tofino where it rains a lot puts you in the perfect location.

Here is some helpful info on "Understanding birds & weather during Fall Migration"

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/fal ... ng-basics/

Looking forward to seeing what you find and feel free to write in with any questions you may have during your trip!

Cheers,
Mel
By dwatsonbirder
Hi Mel,

Thanks for that. I will be hoping to catch up with a few bits but checking the long beach area near Tofino when we are there, sounds like an exciting place in the correct weather. I have read that fall migration on the Pacific coast is not as intense as Spring passage as a lot of the land birds filter south through the mountains, so I was interested in the optimum conditions to keep an eye open. Really hoping to catch up with Varied thrush - one of my most wanted birds.
If all else fails it sounds like some seawatching will be in order!
Cheers
Dan
By birdergirl
Yes it's a little different than what you would see in Point Pelee in Spring but you are coming at a great time especially for shorebirds make sure to hit up Boundary Bay where there is a Ruff and Buff and probably soon to be Sharp-tailed Sandpiper.

You should have no trouble finding a varied thrush especially when you are on the island.

Cheers,
Mel
By WilletBeThere
If you'll have a scope with you, Amphitrite Lighthouse in Ucluelet is a fine place to scope for seabirds. There should be good numbers of Alcids, Scoters, etc flying past. It should also be possible to see Sooty Shearwaters (and possibly other pelagic species) from that location.

Best of luck,
By dwatsonbirder
Thanks both, thats great information. I'll certainly be bringing my scope with me as I'd hoped to spend some time seawatching - most of the alcids will be new birds for me, and with some luck I'd love to catch up with Surf scoter (my bogey bird) as well as Harlequin and Black scoter.
I'll certainly be very happy if I can catch up with a varied thrush - I was too young for the (only UK) 1990 record in Cornwall!
Can I ask if the best location at Amphitrite lighthouse is just to head down onto the rocks south of the lighthouse itself? We are very much looking forward to the trip with only 5 days to go, particularly as we are spending this weekend moving house - we haven't had chance to pack yet!

Cheers again.

Dan
By dwatsonbirder
Had an amazing trip so far, thanks to all who have shared tips and the local birder's who have been very friendly and provided me with gen. I'll send a link to a trip report once I'm back in the UK for any who may be interested. There have been too many highlights - orca has to be top of the list, but I've seen over 60 new species and stumbled upon a few unexpected birds too. The countryside and people have been equally fantastic, and I'm envious of you all who live here!
Sad I can't join the pelagic out of Ucluelet tomorrow, best of luck to all those who are heading out.

Cheers
By dwatsonbirder
Also the rain didn't disappoint here in Ucluelet - I had multiple American robin (20+) as well as 2 Yellow warbler around town this afternoon, and during the rain this morning I managed to pish out a Pacific slope flycatchers and Warbling vireo from a mixed flock on the car park at Wickaninnish beach.
By dwatsonbirder
Hi Mel,

Thanks for that, I possibly walked right past you at the lighthouse earlier in that case, haven't seen so many birder's for a very long time. Think I met Guy Monty today (chatted with two chaps in the harbour - one with a pony tail and one with a beard) as the told me they'd found the mockingbird this morning as well as a Baird's sand and a probable Yellowthroat, really nice guys whomever they may have been!
Best of luck for tomorrow, sounds like it will be a crowded boat!

Cheers

Dan
One last request - planning on a final morning in Stanley park before flying home tomorrow and I would be much obliged if somebody could offer me some gen on the following common species that I haven't yet caught up with if possible:
Brewers blackbird
Black headed Grosbeak
Lazuli bunting
Rusty blackbird
American coot
Bullocks oriole
Dark eyed Junco
Golden crowned sparrow
Cassins vireo
Any owl sp (appreciate this is sensitive info so d/w if not possible)

Any help much appreciated and can be repaid with gen for Europe/Central America/SE Asia

Cheers

Dan
By birdergirl
dwatsonbirder wrote:Hi Mel,

Thanks for that, I possibly walked right past you at the lighthouse earlier in that case, haven't seen so many birder's for a very long time. Think I met Guy Monty today (chatted with two chaps in the harbour - one with a pony tail and one with a beard) as the told me they'd found the mockingbird this morning as well as a Baird's sand and a probable Yellowthroat, really nice guys whomever they may have been!
Best of luck for tomorrow, sounds like it will be a crowded boat!

Cheers

Dan
Yep sounds like you met Mark Wynja and Guy Monty. Glad you had a great trip!

Cheers,
Mel
dwatsonbirder wrote:One last request - planning on a final morning in Stanley park before flying home tomorrow and I would be much obliged if somebody could offer me some gen on the following common species that I haven't yet caught up with if possible:
Brewers blackbird
Black headed Grosbeak
Lazuli bunting
Rusty blackbird
American coot
Bullocks oriole
Dark eyed Junco
Golden crowned sparrow
Cassins vireo
Any owl sp (appreciate this is sensitive info so d/w if not possible)

Any help much appreciated and can be repaid with gen for Europe/Central America/SE Asia

Cheers

Dan

Some of your targets are just getting back or have already departed but your best bets in Stanley Park would be Lost Lagoon and Beaver Lake.

Cheers,
Mel

And finally from Iona Beach Park, there were a few[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

Update for 9 May 2024 ... we are at 158 birds! Woo[…]

Thank you to all who came out to support OWL at ou[…]