Looking for something to shoot? Find challenges and assignments here.
Judy,
As you mentioned in your post about the Green-winged Teal ... here's that classic photo. Lol. Saw him in the White Lake area near OK Falls.

Was also still in the White Lake area and was near a pretty lonely pond and thought I saw a Spotted Sandpiper -- when I looked again at the photo, I realized it was a Solitary Sandpiper. Yes!

Finally, still in the White Lake area ... unless I'm mistaken (which Zach can attest happens ... lol) ... I capture this "Sasquatch-style" photo of a Pacific-Slope Flycatcher. Anyone has a better shot, please feel free to share it!
That's a much better picture of a Green-winged Teal James.
I don't know if this is any better than your Pacific-slope Flycatcher, but I found him in the back green space today.

ImagePacific-slope Flycatcher by Jewill on Flickr

Also, I want to take back my separate photos of the Ruddy Ducks. I was back at Brydon Lagoon this morning and they were still there. Although a distant shot at least both are in the same frame!

ImageRuddy Duck (Male & Female) by Jewill on Flickr

Now for a couple of additions to the list, both taken at Brydon Lagoon in Langley this morning. I was surprised to see that there isn't a Glaucous-winged Gull yet, so here it is.

ImageGlaucous-winged Gull by Jewill on Flickr

Talk about distant shot! This bird is really small to begin with and when I saw him I was on the other side of the lagoon, and it didn't help that he was sitting on power lines, about the least natural setting you can get! I don't know what is going on with his eye - it looks like he has 2 on the same side of his head - a distortion caused by the distance maybe? Again if someone gets a better picture please post it.

ImageBelted Kingfisher (Male) by Jewill on Flickr
Much better shot of the Pacific-slope Flycatcher, Judy ... nice one! The Belted Kingfisher has a small white patch just behind its bill -- that's what makes yours look like a flounder. lol.
I keep looking for opportunities to shoot both Male and Female birds together ... I have a couple of taken recently, but already on the page ... here's an example ...
Nice Purple Finch, Zach ... I have the same issue with the Cassin's Finch ...
Coming along nicely!

I got up early today to head to the North Shore with the hope of finding a MacGillivray's Warbler. Guess what was the first bird I saw? :mrgreen:

Also, I thought we had Black-headed Grosbeak already but was mistaken. This is from yesterday at Surrey Bend:

Nice MacGillivray’s Warbler and Purple Finch Zach. Purple Finches are hard to get good pics of and yet, like you said, they are quite common. Did you go looking for the Yellow-breasted Chat at Surrey Bend Park? I decided to pass but if it hangs around I will probably try later in the week.
I see I’ve converted you James into getting both male and female of a species in the same shot :lol:. It’s frustrating but so rewarding at the same time. Your Barrow’s Goldeneye seems to be showing off his big feet to a less-than-impressed female.
Thanks for pointing out the white spot on the Belted Kingfisher - I’ve never really noticed it before but looking back at some of my previous pics it is indeed there!
jewill wrote: May 09 6:39 pm Nice MacGillivray’s Warbler and Purple Finch Zach. Purple Finches are hard to get good pics of and yet, like you said, they are quite common. Did you go looking for the Yellow-breasted Chat at Surrey Bend Park? I decided to pass but if it hangs around I will probably try later in the week.
I see I’ve converted you James into getting both male and female of a species in the same shot :lol:. It’s frustrating but so rewarding at the same time. Your Barrow’s Goldeneye seems to be showing off his big feet to a less-than-impressed female.
Thanks for pointing out the white spot on the Belted Kingfisher - I’ve never really noticed it before but looking back at some of my previous pics it is indeed there!
I did go to Surrey Bend yesterday, but it was mid-afternoon which is a bad time. I might try again in the early morning.
Look who I found... Green Heron! :mrgreen:

Walked around Brydon Lagoon twice, couldn't find him, but as I was about to get into my car I saw him flying in from somewhere else. Walked around the lagoon again a third time, still couldn't find him but eventually spotted him in the grass.
zwest wrote:Look who I found... Green Heron! :mrgreen:
I am glad you got him! Congratulations Zach! I won’t lie...I wish it were me.
I was there on Friday, Monday and again today...all 3 times he was reported as being there on eBird but do think I could find him?
I hope you got to see the Ruddy Duck in full breeding plumage. He’s quite the handsome guy.
jewill wrote: May 12 8:41 pm
zwest wrote:Look who I found... Green Heron! :mrgreen:
I am glad you got him! Congratulations Zach! I won’t lie...I wish it were me.
I was there on Friday, Monday and again today...all 3 times he was reported as being there on eBird but do think I could find him?
I hope you got to see the Ruddy Duck in full breeding plumage. He’s quite the handsome guy.
Thanks Judy! Yes I saw the Ruddy, but he was sleeping with his bill tucked in the whole time. There was also a Blue-winged Teal which I wasn’t quick enough with as he took off suddenly.

The nice bonus for the afternoon was as I was walk[…]