This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
By MDB8
A couple of weeks ago I spent some time with a Birder from Bellingham while we were both at Drayton Harbor near Blaine. I quizzed him on various sea birds.

One location that seems like a good one is Port Townsend. He mentioned Rhinoceros Auklets and Tufted Puffins as often being seen there. I did some checking and found that there is a nearby island that the Puffins (and other birds) use for breeding purposes. Protection Island.

Has anyone ever visited the area? Specifically, does anyone know if the Puffins are there all year round or do they move elsewhere after breeding? I noticed sightings during August on eBird.

This person suggested that one could take photos "from the dock". After looking at a map, it appears that there may be many docks. Does anyone know a specific location?

Nearby Dungeness Spit also appears to be a good location for seabirds. Does anyone know anything about this location?
By Guy L. Monty
Protection Island is a federal bird sanctuary, and is about three kms offshore, between Sequim and Port Townsend. It is closed to the public, and boats have to stay several hundred yards away from it. There are boat tours in the summer from Port Townsend. Although there are thousands of Rhino's that nest there, the Tufted Puffins just barely seem to hang on there. Kind of the same situation as Mandarte Island, near Victoria. Yes, there are puffins there. Chances of seeing one? Not that great.

Having said all of that, the general birding around Sequim and Port Townsend can be very, very good.

Guy L. Monty
Nanoose Bay, Vancouver Island, BC
By MDB8
My original post was some time ago. A Spammer (not GLM) seems to have reactivated it.

I did travel there in the Fall. I randomly walked some piers accessible from downtown and photographed some Ancient Murrelets from such a pier.

Out of town at a lighthouse I met a local bird photographer who briefed me on the area.

He said that there are few Tufted Puffins nesting on Protection Island. The best time of the year to attempt to find one is June. That is, most diving birds like these, find food underwater and immediately consume it. However, when they are rearing hatchlings, they bring food back to the nest. Hence, they are more likely to be seen at such times as they make many more forays into the sea. This is especially true for the Rhinoceros Auklets which surface with beaks stuffed with food for their nests. Apparently the Auklets often forage close to the piers in Port Townsend.

This local person added, though, that he thought I would have a better chance of seeing a Tufted Puffin at Cannon Beach in Oregon.

From memory the cost of the boat trip to Protection Island (to the metered distance allowed) is $80. This might be worthwhile as I would assume that the skipper would become familiar with the locations and times that the Puffins could be seen.
By Guy L. Monty
Sorry about that. I didn't realize that this was an older post. I imagined that the spammer had glommed onto it because it was a new post. I guess I don't understand spammers.

Just for information sake, considering the expense of travelling all the way to Oregon, you might be better off to book a boat trip to Cleland Island out of Tofino if you want to photograph puffins?

Guy L. Monty
Nanoose Bay, Vancouver Island, BC

And finally from Iona Beach Park, there were a few[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

Update for 9 May 2024 ... we are at 158 birds! Woo[…]

Thank you to all who came out to support OWL at ou[…]