This forum is for asking questions and providing answers on bird identification. New and visiting birders are encouraged to ask and participate.
By MDB8
I went to Boundary Bay this morning to look for a Bohemian Waxwing. Didn't see one.

But I did notice this bird sitting in a shrub. As I looked at it, I felt a little Lovejoy tingle, indicating it was a bird I'd never seen before. I took some photos and watched it for a while.

I guessed it might be a Northern Waterthrush. I noted the curved bill, orange-yellow eyes and spots on its chest that were like arrowheads (different photo shows these shapes). I described it to some persons after I returned and one asked for photos. After some time these people suggested it was a Sage Thrasher (a bird I had hoped to see in the Oliver area this past Summer).

It was significantly larger than the Sparrows hopping around. Indeed two Sparrows seemed agitated by its presence. Twice it flew down to the water's edge in the ditch, but quickly flew back up before I could get a photo of it on the ground. I saw that it looked long and white while on the ground.

ISO 2500 because of the weather.

And finally from Iona Beach Park, there were a few[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

Update for 9 May 2024 ... we are at 158 birds! Woo[…]

Thank you to all who came out to support OWL at ou[…]