This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
By DavidWong
The weather has not been good for birding. So I went out with my wife to Iona this morning when there was a break from the rain. There were only three cars at the car park when I arrived. I walked over to look at the Common Mergansers in the pool. A middle age woman came out of the washroom. She asked me if I had taken good pictures. I told her that I’d just arrived. She asked if I had walked to Iona. This was strange, but I did not give it a second thought. I told her that it would be too long a walk, and I had come in a car. She asked me where my car was, and I pointed it to her. I then walked towards the river with my wife. The woman wished me good birding.

Birding was quite disappointing. There were the usual Double crested Cormorants, Crows, Red-winged Blackbirds, Great Blue Herons, Fox Sparrows, Song Sparrows, Spotted Towhees, Gulls, Cooper’s Hawks, American Coots and Mallards. We were back in the car in 45 minutes.

The lock on the car door was damaged. The inside was a mess. My wife’s purse in the trunk had been stolen, together with ID cards, credit cards, bank cards, blank cheques, driver’s license, and house keys, among other things. Hundreds of dollars were charged on her credit cards within a couple of hours, mostly at boutique shops. Needless to say, I spent the rest of the day on the phone doing damage control.

I was told another car was also broken into in that car park around the same time. However, the driver had left by the time we discovered our problem.

I never thought Iona was an unsafe place, but then again, no where is actually safe from break and entry. I post this as a warning for birders. Thieves know that birders usually spend some time away from their vehicle.

David Wong
Thank you for the warning. I go out to Iona quite often so I will be a little more careful about what I leave in the car - and the trunk which I had thought was somewhat safer. Clarissa
By edlai
I've heard from a friend that a photographer's car was broken into parked at Boundary Bay 72nd a few weeks ago. All his photographic gear was stolen including a 600 mm lens.
By DavidWong
Yes, I read that too. Revs (Paul) posted that for his friend on Nov 23, 2012. I feel sorry for him.

One cannot be too careful. Even if you don’t lose expensive photographic equipment, the hassle of getting your car repaired, contacting banks and credit companies, and getting ID replacement is quite overwhelming. I won’t recommend it for anyone.

Wishing all the birders a safe holiday season,

David Wong
By DavidWong
She was the main suspect for the following reasons:
● She was the only person there other than myself and my wife at the time.
● The way she asked me how I had gotten there.
● She was interested where I had parked my car; and there were only three cars there at the time.
● She saw us going towards the river with our cameras.
● Most of the purchases with my wife’s credit cards were at women boutique shops (She also used the cards to pay for parking at YVR and at an Esso gas station, so she was also driving too).

I realize that these are circumstantial evidence, and I do not have proof. Both my wife and I do remember her face, and I would recognize her if I should see her again.

David Wong
That's terrible - next time don't leave anything within sight of a would be burgler.

Statisically speaking if the thief dosent see anything worth breaking into a motor vehicle on first glance they will simply walk away.....
By DavidWong
It is common sense that one does not leave anything valuable in the car that can be seen. We found out the hard way that even when placed in the trunk and out of sight is not safe. My wife had placed her purse in the trunk when we left home, as she did not want to carry it while bird watching. It was not put in there while we were at the park and seen by the potential thief.

David Wong
By Lynxear
You are so vulnerable going to hiking/birding spots with only a few cars around.

I have not done it yet but now it is getting cheap enough to do. If you go to outfitter stores for hunting, you can find these all weather cameras that are left in the bush to take photos automatically...then you retrieve the camera and take a look at the game in the area.

I am very tempted to get one and put it in a fake rock with the lens aimed at my car and the exit road, taking a picture every 30secs...or whatever depending the memory chip in the camera.

I would then have evidence and perhaps a license plate number to give the police. I am very close to doing something like that.
By DavidWong
Now that’s an innovative way to catch a thief! However, this may work in theory, but there is no guarantee.

My mom’s condo garage was broken into, and the thief got away with a lot of expensive loot. The burglary was recorded by two surveillance cameras, and the thief was caught in the act. However, according to the police officer, the image from most residential surveillance is not adequate and would not hold up in court. Only a high definition system, which is five times as expensive, could provide good enough images for use in court.

The damage has been done. I am still waiting to have my car lock replaced. The cost must be much more than my deductible, and the difference will have to be absorbed by everyone’s insurance premium. The hassle of replacing credit cards, bank cards, driver’s licence, etc, and re-keying house keys is almost unbearable. The credit card companies, banks, etc., have to be notified immediately. I was put on hold at each of those phone calls, and one of those was for longer than an hour.

Catching the thief is a way of revenge, for lack of a better word. However, to be frank, I don’t even care if she is caught.

David Wong
By Lynxear
I don't know how defined these images are but the cameras for huntsmen are getting better and better...I would hope for a pic of the license plate of the car they used....anyway I just cannot stand the thought of someone violating my car like that and doing nothing about it.

Though as of yet I have not gone this route yet, it is on my mind
By DavidWong
I am happy to report that the thief has been caught. We were contacted by the Police this morning, telling us that my wife’s driver’s license and one of her credit cards have been recovered (the other lost items are still unaccounted for). We have re-keyed our house, replaced all the credit cards and bank accounts. I still have to negotiate with the credit card company regarding some fraudulent charges. I finally got my car repaired. I am very impressed by the police work.

David Wong

And finally from Iona Beach Park, there were a few[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

Update for 9 May 2024 ... we are at 158 birds! Woo[…]

Thank you to all who came out to support OWL at ou[…]