This area is for BC birding news, events and related announcements.
Hi Guy,

I haven't used eBird for anything other than personal interest, but I find having a well-rounded database to draw from benefits everyone. Without the contributions from some of the most active birders out there, the quality of the data definitely takes a hit.

Being able to check eBird data from a place such as Ontario - where I'm not nearly as knowledgeable - has been a great asset during my stay here this winter. If I am interested in learning whether Lapland Longspurs are common winter birds vs. uncommon vs. scarce/low density, I just have to plug in the month and set the data range and specify the area. The impact of poor eBird coverage is especially noticeable at the level of uncommon-but-regular species. I reported Pine Grosbeaks the other day because there were few December records in the immediate area to where I found a flock. After I received the results from the Uxbridge CBC, which I participated in, I saw that they are not nearly as uncommon as some of the other species I have encountered this winter (i.e., Lapland Longspurs).

And, of course, all the points Liron mentioned are completely valid as well, but I know Guy is familiar enough with the tool to understand that level of utility. I just think it creates such a powerful body of data (regardless of the errors that sneak in) that is rapidly becoming the best measure of bird populations. The more data the better, especially when it comes from top notch sources where the errors will be few and far between (or non-existent depending how cautious the observer is).

Jeremy Gatten
Saanichton, B.C. (still in Port Perry, ON)
Many thanks to all who replied. Some very interesting responses. I actually do not know much of anything about ebird, beyond an understanding of how such databases can be used. I have not even looked at it in years. I tried submitting records to ebird many years ago, and I could not get it to work at all with my computer at the time, so after many unsuccessful attempts, I gave up on it. Some time after that, I quit recording notes entirely (outside of work), due to the deep sense of futility I felt about such things. More recently, the BC Bird Atlas project did get me doing some more birding, so I guess I should have a look at the project again, and see if I can add anything to it. Honestly though, I don't bird much anymore outside of work, at least, relative to what I used to, and most work notes are not mine to submit.

thanks again,

Guy L. Monty
Nanoose Bay, Vancouver Island, BC
I should add that it slightly renewed my interest in self-competition. I always like a challenge and having a list that I can look back on easily is quite nice. I know it has always been an available with Excel, but the format is quite pleasing on eBird and you can easily check back on previous outings, select a local patch you want to focus on, and compare to other birders in the province (if that's your game).

From your standpoint, I could see you enjoying entering your outings from Moorecroft on eBird and having it track it as your patch. I have set Saanichton Spit as my patch and it automatically adjusts my month, year, and life totals for that patch. When I tell people about my favourite birding spot, I often struggle to recall all of the good birds I have seen there over the years and I never had the motivation to keep the information anywhere other than my brain. That has changed due to format and ease of eBird.

Anyways, lots of good features to check out. It's something to consider, anyways. Check it out and see if the bugs have been worked. It might give you a little invigoration if you feel like you need a bit of a renewed spirit towards birding.

Jeremy Gatten
Saanichton, B.C.
Thanks Jeremy,

I tried it out, and the input mechanics have been vastly improved since the last time I had a look. Seems pretty slick.

Guy L. Monty
Nanoose Bay, Vancouver Island, BC
Ebird was terrible back in the day, but since ive started using it the past year its actually become the only thing I use for my sightings.

Theres an app you can buy called bird log that lets you log your sightings directly into Ebird basically while you see them.

Yesterday I birded from stanley park all the way up to squamish and after every stop I would simply scroll through the checklist and mark the ones I had seen. Very convenient especially for things like christmas bird counts and bird surveys.

And finally from Iona Beach Park, there were a few[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

Update for 9 May 2024 ... we are at 158 birds! Woo[…]

Thank you to all who came out to support OWL at ou[…]