This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
By Elisabethff
Hello,
We live in a ground floor condo near city hall, Vancouver and are fascinated daily by the Anna's hummingbirds and other small birds that visit our patio. But we have been surprised for the last three nights by a song bird in the pitch dark around 1:00 am with a steady chirp chirp chirp. It's a bit like a finch, a bit like a song sparrow, and not at all in distress. Any ideas?
Elisabeth (my first post)
By rawalker
Unfortunately I do not have enough expertise in calls to ID this for you based on your description. What I may suggest, which I have found very useful in the past, is using a phone/camera/video camera to either record a voice memo or a video that will contain the audio of the call. You can then post the file to this forum for more accurate ID help.

Randy - Langley
By Hoss
I've heard robins calling in the dead of night. They produce a wide range of sounds, but without an audio file or lurking outside of your house at 1am (a good recipe for arrest), its gonna be impossible to figure it out.
By taniab
Isn't that interesting! If you do find out what's making this late night chirping, could you please post and share your findings? :-)
By Guy L. Monty
From the description and location, I would guess you are hearing House Sparrows. Virtually any bird will vocalize if exposed to light in the night though.

Guy L. Monty
Nanoose Bay, Vancouver Island, BC

And finally from Iona Beach Park, there were a few[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

Update for 9 May 2024 ... we are at 158 birds! Woo[…]

Thank you to all who came out to support OWL at ou[…]