This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
By MDB8
While waiting for my new desktop, I started to play with a tablet that I purchased recently. An Android tablet.

The device is intended (by me) to be a media player - books, magazines and audio. Maybe other uses if I like Shaw's free WiFi service and it is commonly available in the Lower Mainland.

There are some good buys for magazines, but alas not for BIRDWATCHING. Through Zinio the magazines are downloaded to your device for viewing offline. OUTDOOR PHOTOGRAPHER, for example costs about $1/issue for a subscription. SHUTTERBUG cost $5 for a year's subscription. BIRDWATCHING costs about $4.50/issue for a subscription. BIRD WATCHER'S DIGEST has a free downloading app, but apparently you can only read the magazine on your digital device if you subscribe to the print edition of the magazine.

On the personal BW front, I took some nice photos of Redpolls today at Terra Nova. One useful aspect of the large gathering of Birders at Queen's Park is that you can pick up info from others. In this instance Mike Tabac mentioned that he had seen a large flock of Redpolls at Terra Nova. Luckily I found the flock with some members foraging at head height. As for the RF Bluetail, I (also) luckily found it while it was resting (in an unusual way) and was able to take 50 or so close photos of it in a motionless state.

I didn't find the reported Townsend's Solitaire there and still haven't seen a Bohemian Waxwing....

And finally from Iona Beach Park, there were a few[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

Update for 9 May 2024 ... we are at 158 birds! Woo[…]

Thank you to all who came out to support OWL at ou[…]