This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
By MDB8
Upon watching a recent weather forecast, I started to wonder if such weather could affect what we might find around shorelines. The forecaster was saying that we would have strong winds from the west.

Are some birds that are normally found further out from the shoreline more likely to be seen after such a storm? If such a storm occurs during migration, are we likely to find a host of shorebirds and song birds having been blown ashore?

For example I was thinking of wandering down to the Ferry Causeway and looking around. Maybe such blow-ins are more likely to occur on the west coast of Vancouver Island?
By jessfindlay
Hi Mike,

You can expect winds from the west to create some interesting birding conditions. Stormy conditions can definitely have an effect on birds. For the most part, simply pushing the birds into calmer waters. In extreme cases, causing birds to mistake parking lots for bodies of water, or leading them elsewhere, far away from the ocean. In the past couple decades storms have caused birds like Norther Fulmar, Laysan Albatross and Leach's Storm Petrel to turn up on sidewalks, highways and lawns in the suburbs, well away from saltwater.

This time of year, I wouldn't count on seeing any pelagic species close to shore. Simply because, currently, there aren't many if any species out in the Salish Sea that can't be somewhat reliably seen from shore.

You are right in saying that this effect would be more evident on Vancouver Island's west coast. When the conditions are right, a number of pelagic species can be seen from shore at locations such as Amphitrite Point in Ucluelet.

During spring and fall migration however, small numbers of pelagic migrants find their way into more sheltered waters, i.e. Parasitic Jaeger, Red-necked Phalarope, Sooty Shearwater, Fork-tailed Storm Petrel and can be seen in Puget Sound and the Salish Sea.

This time of year I would expect to see larger number of alcids and loons. I've found that on stormy days, birding sections of water that are somewhat sheltered from the wind can be very productive. For example, on the Ladner Christmas Count this year, probably 75% of the seabirds and waterfowl that were tallied in our section (Point Roberts) were found on the leeward side of the peninsula. Other areas like English Bay, smaller coves in West Vancouver and portions of Howe Sound may produce a similar effect. Lighthouse Park, Point Roberts is undoubtedly the best area in the GVRD (well kind of) for this type of birding. Despite the border crossing, I've always found it to be worth while. Also, as you've mentioned, land that penetrates further out into the sea, such as the Tsawwassen and Iona jetties give you a better chance at seeing some of these exciting birds.

Best of luck out there!
- Jess Findlay

And finally from Iona Beach Park, there were a few[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

Update for 9 May 2024 ... we are at 158 birds! Woo[…]

Thank you to all who came out to support OWL at ou[…]