This forum is for asking questions and providing answers on bird identification. New and visiting birders are encouraged to ask and participate.
By VAGAbond

Observed Nov. 8 & 9 at Backie Spit. A hybrid? With what? It doesn't match the illustration of a hybrid with an American Widgeon in my references.

(Apologies for the picture quality, it was early with not much light and a long way off.)
I would agree with the previous commenter--this is a pure Eurasian Wigeon either retaining some "basic plumage" feathers[I use that term since 'breeding plumage' (aka "Alternate Plumage") in most ducks is most apparent in the non-breeding season].

Another possibility is that it's a bird with funky genes/hormones that caused it to replace its body feathers but some came out as 'basic' or female-type. And hey ya never know--apparently some older females (menopausal) can take on a quasi-male look due to hormonal shifts.

But technically I'm not a biologists so these are just guesses based on 'what I've heard.'

Most hybrid ducks are visibly intermediate (plumage-wise) between the two parents species--I don't see this in this bird.

Russ Cannings
Nanaimo, BC
By VAGAbond
I had a good look at this bird with my spotting scope. Whatever it is, it was quite a striking plumage. I hope somebody can get a better picture.

The nice bonus for the afternoon was as I was walk[…]