This forum is for asking questions and providing answers on bird identification. New and visiting birders are encouraged to ask and participate.
By russellcannings
Hi Gerard,

Do you have any other photos of this bird? Would be nice to get a better side-angle on the head. It certainly looks very large and white (like a typical 2nd-cycle Glaucous) but the key feature is the bill and possibly the eye. From what I can see, the bill looks a little dirty (i.e. Not the distinct "dipped-in-ink" <black tip; the rest clean pink> bill of a typical immature Glaucous. If the eye was bright yellow that would also be a strong indicator of Glaucous.

Will look there tomorrow if I have time!

Cheers,

Russ Cannings
Nanaimo, BC
By russellcannings
To me the head and bill look wrong for typical Glaucous Gull. Glaucous's usually have large blocky heads with big, strait-edged beak. At this plumage-stage they almost always have a clean pink bill with a dark tip. This birds' bill is more Glaucous-winged-shaped in my opinion and the bill has a 'dirty' look as I mentioned before. Hybrid is a possibility, but I would guess this is a pale-looking second-cycle Glaucous-winged Gull. The extreme paleness could be caused by feather-wear/sun-bleaching, or perhaps leucism/albinism. If the feathers seemed in good condition I would suspect the latter.

Even the experts who make the fieldguides admit that gulls (particularly the large larids of the Pacific NW) present a perplexing range of plumages, particularly during their 'immature' years. I can confidently say "I'm not sure" on this one but it looks very interesting so I'll try and find it in the morning if I have time.

If you manage to get any closer pics in the future. Feel free to post them here or send them to me at: russellcannings@shaw.ca

Russ
By Gerard
Thanks for the information, it was a neat find nonetheless. I hope he's still around tomorrow, I'll try to get another look. This is also another reason I need to get a better lens!

Thanks Russ!

Gerard Duncan
Nanaimo, BC

And finally from Iona Beach Park, there were a few[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

Update for 9 May 2024 ... we are at 158 birds! Woo[…]

Thank you to all who came out to support OWL at ou[…]