This forum is for asking questions and providing answers on bird identification. New and visiting birders are encouraged to ask and participate.
By Anomaly
Greetings all!
I saw this bird today in Rithet's Bog in Saanich (Greater Victoria area). It was hanging out with about 30 Mallards in murky pools amongst the cat-tails. Initially I thought this was simply a female Northern Shoveler. But in my field guides the yellow eye belongs to the male and the female has a dark eye. Then I noticed it also seems there is more color on the wings than the females usually show (in my field guides). Is this maybe a juvenile male Northern Shoveler or a male in eclipse plumage or...?
By Anomaly
Hi Keith
Thanks for your reply. That was my best guess and I'm happy to have it confirmed. I used to think that bird identification was pretty straightforward but as I get more into birding I find it's often more difficult than it seems - especially with young birds like this. It's great to have a site like this where beginners like myself can tap into the knowledge of those with more experience such as yourself.
Brian

And finally from Iona Beach Park, there were a few[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

Update for 9 May 2024 ... we are at 158 birds! Woo[…]

Thank you to all who came out to support OWL at ou[…]