This forum is for asking questions and providing answers on bird identification. New and visiting birders are encouraged to ask and participate.
By Freely
This fellow showed up this morning at the feeder shortly after the house finches arrived. Not sure if he is traveling with them or not. He is the same size as tha house finch except he is yellow tinged. Could this be a varant. I live in chemainus bc, on Van. Is. He has a sunflower seed in his mouth.

Thank you in advanceImage

Side view
With his friends
By Nonnobissolum
The bottom shot is great! You pretty much covered all the bases with that one! They are all House Finches, the bird on the left looks like an adult female. The top bird like an adult male, very bright reddish. The right bird looks a little more orangey with less extensive color, not sure if this is an adult male with less color or a second year male. The middle bird is the classic yellow variant, male too. The females always look drab and are very hard to age at this time of year. Nice work!
By Nonnobissolum
Nonnobissolum wrote:The females always look drab and are very hard to age at this time of year
Should have said at ANY time of year, my fingers don't always work in conjunction with my brain.
By Freely
Thank you for your help. It was quit the circus for a bit., and really exciting for a newbie ...

And finally from Iona Beach Park, there were a few[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

Update for 9 May 2024 ... we are at 158 birds! Woo[…]

Thank you to all who came out to support OWL at ou[…]