This forum is for asking questions and providing answers on bird identification. New and visiting birders are encouraged to ask and participate.
By TrippingOverChairs
Was on trip to Vancouver island and came across all sorts of birds from Long Tailed Duck to Pacific Loons to Buffle heads to Brandt Goose and Brandt Cormorants to all types of gulls but this one was way out in the pass and my lens was unable to get a good shot but I noticed how high it sat in the water head and tail in the air. However I am unable to id this fellow as I can not connect him with anything in my books. maybe I am missing something obvious so could I get some help with the id. Thanks all.

By Nonnobissolum
The relatively small and delicate looking bill and head make me think Mew Gull. The posture looks right too.
By TrippingOverChairs
I thought a Mew Gull as well but the dark beak with adult plumage throws me. I know It is a bad picture from a ferry at a very long distance with the wrong lens so all the detail and colours are distorted. Thanks
By rawalker
Any chance it could be a Bonaparte's gull? The dark spot behind the eye isn't as prominent as I would have expected though...

And finally from Iona Beach Park, there were a few[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

Update for 9 May 2024 ... we are at 158 birds! Woo[…]

Thank you to all who came out to support OWL at ou[…]