This forum is for asking questions and providing answers on bird identification. New and visiting birders are encouraged to ask and participate.
By ravenoddstad
I've seen this little wren a few times now. In my Birds of western Canada it looks like a winter wren. But I've heard talk of a pacific wren, which isn't in this book. On my greater vancouver area bird check list there is a pacific wren but no winter wren. Are the pacific and winter wren the same thing and if not which one is this?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92878992@N07/12282292825/
By Jill
There's an easy explanation for your confusion.

A few years ago, the Winter Wren species was "split" by the AOU - what was considered one species was defined into two. The western version (which you saw) is now called the Pacific wren. Your bird book was printed before the split, and hence lists Winter Wren.

What I've always wondered, is how this bird got the genus name Trogolodytes - hardly lives underground, does it?

Jill
By MahasiMethod
What I've always wondered, is how this bird got the genus name Trogolodytes - hardly lives underground, does it?
Pacific wrens do like to ramble on the ground in search of juicy bugs. I've been awakened by the charming sight of a band of hoarding wrens out on a bug hunt, hopping in front of my eyes.
By Greatblue
Just like your reference book, mine are all out of date. They still use Winter Wren, Common Snipe etc. and for photography, film cameras.

Would love to see a band of bug hunting wrens. I have only seen them singularly.
By Nonnobissolum
Jill wrote:What I've always wondered, is how this bird got the genus name Trogolodytes - hardly lives underground, does it?
Actually it does sometimes, in the southern Coast Mountains it will often use eroded areas around stream banks etc. where soil is stabilized by tree roots but the lower layers are washed out creating overhanging areas where it nests underneath the ground sheltered from everything. Named by the master himself Linnaeus 1758.

And finally from Iona Beach Park, there were a few[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

Update for 9 May 2024 ... we are at 158 birds! Woo[…]

Thank you to all who came out to support OWL at ou[…]